The Case Estates Area was documented by the Weston Historical Commission in 1994.
It includes the following properties:
226 Ash Street
84, 86, 89, 101, 102, 128, 130, 132, 131, 133, 134, 135, 137, 138, 142 Wellesley Street
The Case Estates Area and Maple Road/Wellesley Street Area were later combined to form the Case’s Corner Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002. To see the original 1994 area form including data sheets and photographs, see Case Estates Area Form.
The Case Estates Area includes farmhouses, 19th century summer estate buildings, and turn of the century residences set within a horticulturally significant landscape of farm fields, woodlands, orchards, wetlands and landscaped gardens.
Among the houses are good representative examples from the following periods:
These include an estate mansion, estate worker housing, and middle class
housing. The area includes a total of 15 houses dating between about
1790 and 1952 and also 14 outbuildings, including 10 barns and farm
Most structures are frame with clapboard and occasionally shingle
exteriors; notable exceptions are the shingle and brick estate mansion, a
brick barn, and a stucco cow barn. Located throughout the Case Estates
Area are plantings of horticultural significance including many specimen
trees and shrubs. Stone walls dating from the late 18th to early 20th
century exemplify varied construction methods and serve as important
landscape features. Because of the large amount of open land, the area
retains a distinctly rural feeling.
Location & Land
Located in the geographic center of Weston at the intersection of 4
well-traveled roads, the Case Estates Area occupies approximately 118
acres, of which more than 100 acres are undeveloped. About half the
area, approximately 60 acres, is owned by Harvard University and managed
by the Arnold Arboretum as a horticultural facility known as the Case
Estates. The remaining acreage includes a 35-acre town field, originally
part of the Case Estates, and also the Case family estate mansion (now
Weston school administrative offices) and privately owned houses that
contribute to the character of the area.