The Jones Road Area encompasses a narrow dead-end street off Boston Post Road in the central “village” area of Weston. The area includes 7 houses on a total of 1.82 acres of flat land. Houses are small, ranging from 1,188 to 2,587 square feet, on lots ranging from 1-fifth to 1-third of an acre. The houses represent typical working class houses and have a minimum of architectural detail. Many of the houses have their original small 1-car garage. Because houses are relatively consistent in size, massing and setbacks, the area has a general feeling of cohesiveness.
The earliest house on the street, the Eugene and Anna L. White House at 9 Jones Road (1923-24, MHC 1000, Map #1, Photo #1), is a simple gable-front house with a 1-story porch across the front. This house type is common in Weston and is often referred to as “farmhouse” style. Both the main roof and porch roof have wide overhanging eaves with open or “show” rafters.
James & Anna J. White House
The James and Anna J. White House at 12 Jones Road (c.1924, MHC 1001, Map #7) and the Jeremiah and Elizabeth Sliney House at 15 Jones Road (c.1923, MHC 1002, Map #2) are “Four-Square” houses with the typical square massing, hip roof, and one-story porch. In both houses the porches have been enclosed. No. 16 Jones Road (c.1927, MHC 1003, Map #6, Photo #2) exemplifies another type of popular small house from the 1910s and 1920s, the simple 1 1/2-story bungalow. In this example, the porch has been enclosed and living space has been increased by adding a large hipped dormer. No. 18 Jones Road (c.1928, MHC 1004, Map #5) is Colonial in style and 21 Jones Road (c.1927, MHC 1006, Map #4, Photo #3) is a typical 1920s “Dutch” Colonial with gambrel roof and pent eave.
Jones Road was
laid out in 1923 on land belonging to Ralph Jones and his sister, Mary
Caroline “Mae” Jones Warren. Ralph and Mae were the last of 6
generations of Joneses who owned and occupied the historic Golden Ball
Tavern at 662 Boston Post Road. Ralph made his living as a farmer, and
when he or his sister needed extra money, they periodically subdivided
off lots. Several of the Jones Road lots were purchased by immigrants
who worked for wealthy businessmen and professionals in the area. Most
of the houses have remained relatively intact and are emblematic of the
working class families who provided the labor for Weston estates.
On the initial plot plan of July, 1923, lots 4,5,6 and 7 on the west
side of Jones Road were all the same size, which was 8,708 square feet.
Jeremiah Sliney purchased 1 1/2 lots and other lot lines were adjusted
as well. The Eugene and Anna L. White House at 9 Jones Road (1923-24,
MHC 1000, Map #1) was the first to be constructed. The house first
appears on Weston tax rolls in 1924, valued at $4,000 for the building
and $600 for the land. The Whites were originally from Nova Scotia and
worked as the cook and caretaker for the Fiske house at 639 Boston Post
Road. It is thought that Annie White may have done some of the cooking
in the house on Jones Road, because the kitchen in twice the size of
others on the block and evidence remains of a large round pipe exhaust
suggestive of a large cooking stove.
The house across the street, the James and Anna J. White House at 12 Jones Road (c.1924, MHC 1001, Map #7) was built by Gene’s brother, a carpenter, who was also from Nova Scotia. The Jeremiah and Elizabeth Sliney House at 15 Jones Road (c.1923, MHC 1002, Map #2), was built for another of the early residents on the street. Sliney is listed in directories as a chauffeur.
Middlesex County Registry of Deeds, So. District. Book 325, Plan 24, “Land in Weston of Ralph Jones and Others” Dated July 1923.
Information provided by Marisa Morra based on interviews with Mary Sliney, daughter of Jeremiah Sliney, as well as Alison Furness, who also grew up on this block.
Fox, Pamela W., Farm Town to Suburb: The History and Architecture of Weston, Massachusetts, 1830-1980 (Peter Randall Publishers, 2002)