Lower Conant Area

The Lower Conant Road Area, documented by the Weston Historical Commission in 1994, includes the following properties:
  • 7, 12, 15, 17, 18, 22, 25, 32, 33, 38, and 42 Conant Road
  • 8, 12, 16, and 20 Gowell Lane
  • 4 and 10 Woodward Lane (previously 44 and 46 Conant Road)
For the full text of the 1994 form, data sheets, and photographs see Lower Conant Area Form.
About the Area
The Lower Conant Area contains a total of 17 houses dating between 1870 and 1950, with all but 2 dating before World War I. Represented here are examples of Stick Style, Queen Anne, Shingle Style and Colonial Revival architecture. The Stick Style house at #15 is a particularly well-detailed example, one of only a few houses of this style in Weston. All houses in the area are of frame construction, with clapboards and shingles being the predominant exterior materials.

Large, well-appointed middle class homes are located along Conant Road, sited to take advantage of the series of small hills in the area. Smaller houses are located on Gowell and Woodward Lanes, 2 narrow unpaved lanes extending for short distances off the main road. Lot sizes in the area range from 16,610 square feet to 1.5 acres, with most parcels less than 1 acre. Setbacks vary between about 30 feet and 175 feet. Stone walls and footpaths enhance the character of the streetscape.
Ellen P. Hubbard House at 18 Conant Road
Conant Road begins at Church Street just outside Weston Center and winds through the north side of town before continuing into Lincoln.

The Lower Conant Area described in the Lower Conant Area Form includes the 1st quarter mile, ending where the street crosses over the abandoned tracks of the Massachusetts Central Railroad. The houses at  #3 and #6 Conant Road at the corner of Church Street are architecturally and historically a part of this turn-of-the-century neighborhood but are not included in this area form because they are part of the Boston Post Road National Register District. Also excluded from the area are houses at #4 and #8 Conant Road, which cannot be seen from the street.
Gowell / Parker House
Development in the area began after the Civil War. The earliest house appears to be the Gowell / Parker House at 25 Conant Road, (ca.1873, Map #4), a 2 1/2 story Italianate example with simple detailing including a wall gable with segmental-headed window at bay #5 on the west facade and a well-detailed main entrance porch on the south gable end. The 6 by 2 bay shingle house has 2/2 windows with shutters. Extending to the rear is a gambrel-roofed ell.
Gowell / Parker House at 25 Conant Road
Justin E. Gale House & Barn
The most elaborately detailed house in the area, the Justin E. Gale House at 15 Conant Road (1880, Map #2, MHC 259) is one of only a few Weston examples of the Stick Style. The 2 1/2 story clapboard and shingle house, sited at the top of the hill, features a wide array of porches, balconies, bay windows and other projections, a variety of window sizes and types, and a complex hip and gable roof arrangement which adds to its visual interest.

The Justin E.Gale Barn is located at 17 Conant Road (ca.1880, Map #3) where the 2-story, side gable building has been converted to a house with numerous additions to the 3 by 2 bay main block. The board and batten structure features a small decorative central wall gable and cupola with weather vane. Stone entrance posts mark the entrance into the property, on which is located a collection of large modern outdoor sculptures.
Benjamin R. Parker House
The Queen Anne style is represented in the area at the Benjamin R. Parker House at 33 Conant Road (ca.1892, Map #9), a simple example typical of Weston. The 2 1/2 story, 3 by 4 bay gable front house is clapboarded at level 1 and in the gable and shingled at level 2, with a simple shingle-pattern band above the second floor. The entrance is located offset left, sheltered by a porch across the front with turned posts and a simple railing. Windows are 2 / 2 except for a small octagonal window at level 2. A 4-bay addition has been added on the north side.
Benjamin R. Parker House at 33 Conant Road
Colonial Revival Homes
At the turn of the century, 3 well-detailed Colonial Revival homes were built on hill-top sites on the west side of Conant Road at #18, 22 and 32. All are excellent examples of the type of well-built early Colonial Revival house popular among middle class home buyers moving into Weston at the turn of the century.

Ellen P. Hubbard House
The Ellen P. Hubbard House at 18 Conant Road (ca.1895, Map #16) is a handsome 2 1/2 story clapboard and shingle house, 3 X 2 bays, with a center entrance with sidelights, a 1-story porch across the front with patterned porch railing, wide overhanging eaves with show rafters on the front facade, and paired brick corbeled chimneys on the ridge line.

Lyman W. Gale House
The Lyman W. Gale House at 22 Conant Road (ca.1895, Map #15) is a 1 1/2 story gambrel-roofed clapboard house with a 5 by 2 bay main block, a rear ell, and a modern addition on the west. The house has a prominent center entrance porch with a semi-circular pediment. A long multiple dormer stretches across the lower section of the gambrel roof, which is covered with wood shingles. Windows are 6 / 1 with shutters.

32 Conant Road
32 Conant Road (1906-8, Map #14), a 2-story, 4 by 2 bay clapboard structure with rear 2-bay ell, has its architectural emphasis on the projecting 2-story pavilion and 1-story entrance porch at bay #3. The porch features an oversize triangular pediment with sunburst pattern, supported on Doric columns resting on paneled bases. Windows are 6 / 6.

Mary L. Hubbard House
The shingled Colonial Revival Mary L.Hubbard House at 12 Conant Road (ca.1907, Map #16),, features a cross gambrel roof and an enclosed 3-bay porch on the east facade.

Additional Colonial Revival Houses
The 2 fine Colonial Revival houses at 3 and 6 Conant Road have not been included in this area form because they are part of the Boston Post Road National Register District. They are, however, part of the architectural fabric of the area and a brief summary of information follows. 3 Conant Road (MHC 207), the First Parish Church parsonage, was built in 1913 from designs by architect Harold Graves and replaced an earlier parsonage on the site which was destroyed by fire. 6 Conant Road (MHC 205) was built about 1900 for Charles O. Richardson, from designs by Samuel Mead, and was greatly enlarged in 1916-17 by architect Joseph Chandler.

Lower Conant Area Map
Lower Conant Area map