In 2007, the Board of Selectmen adopted a committee appointment policy in order to encourage and broaden participation in town government by qualified and interested residents. The policy includes the following steps:
- advertisement of vacancies on any board or committee for which they make the appointments;
- solicitation of letters of interest/volunteer applications;
- review of letters of interest/applications by current members of board or committee;
- interview in open meeting of all candidates to be considered;
- appointment generally at the next regularly scheduled meeting after interviews are conducted.
Revision of Policy Regarding Reappointments
Positions on the Selectmen-appointed boards and committees (listed below) come up for reappointment on or around June 30th. Pursuant to the 2016 revision of its policy on appointments, the Selectmen will solicit from residents (including the current members of these boards and committees) any questions, comments, or other relevant feedback regarding the charge, procedures, and activities of these boards and committees approximately 6 to 8 weeks prior to the reappointments at the end of June. The Selectmen will also solicit any informal expressions of interest residents may have in serving on these boards or committees at that time or in the near future.
Responses to these solicitations may be used by the Board of Selectmen, in its discretion, in considering whether or not to open a reappointment and solicit formal letters of interest as described in the appointments policy, in considering whether to potentially revise the membership, scope, charge, or duties of a board or committee, and in recommending priorities or activities for a board or committee to consider or pursue.
Responses may be emailed to the Board of Selectmen at selectmen @ westonmass.org or delivered by hand or mail to the Town Manager's office at Town Hall, 11 Town House Road, Weston. Please note that any written or emailed response should be accompanied by a name and not anonymous and may be considered a public record subject to potential disclosure under state law. For fullest consideration, responses should be received by the Board prior to its last scheduled meeting in June.
Selectmen-appointed Boards and Committees with Terms
Following are the boards and committees for which at least one position comes up for reappointment by the Board in June. All terms are three years unless otherwise indicated below:
- Affordable Housing Trust (two-year terms)
- Agricultural Commission
- Board of the Council on Aging (four-year terms)
- Board of Registrar of Voters
- Cable Advisory Committee
- Community Preservation Committee - Parkland Representative
- Conservation Commission
- Crescent Street Historic District Commission
- Historical Commission
- Trustees of the Merriam Fund
- MBTA Advisory Board
- Metro West Regional Transit Authority Advisory Board Representative
- Permanent Building Committee (appointed jointly with the School Committee - term in Oct.)
- Recreation Master Plan Steering Committee (at-large appointed jointly with the School Committee)
- Stormwater Permitting Authority
- Sustainability Committee (at-large)
- Traffic & Sidewalk Committee
- Tree Advisory Group
- Weston Cultural Council (a term does not necessarily expire in June)
- Zoning Board of Appeals