Town Center Improvement Project
The Town Center Improvement Project is the first opportunity in over 100 years -- since the design and construction of the Town Green -- to enhance the quality of the Town Center by addressing pedestrian and traffic safety, parking availability, and an opportunity for a variety of public activities, as well as the appearance of the Town Center. This will be the largest road construction project in Weston's history.
Over a four-plus year period, the Town Center Planning Committee, working with the Public Works Department, a team of engineers, landscape designers, and a planning consultant, has carefully addressed myriad design and engineering challenges that face any project of this size.
Access to Town Center businesses is supported and monitored, as "Businesses are Open" is a critical directive given to the construction team by the planning committee.
Construction Update - August 19th
Access to homes and businesses will always be maintained. Police Detail is on site.
DRIVE SLOWLY & WATCH FOR ROAD SIGNS
There are two construction crews working in the area.
- Crew 1:
- will be finishing drainage work heading west from the Town Green toward 483 Boston Post Road
- will also be working on valves in the vicinity of Concord Road
- There will be some parking disruptions within this area. Look for signs indicating available parking areas. If you need assistance to a business, ask a police officer or ground crew member.
- Crew 2:
- in front of the Town Green continuing ductbank and utility manhole installation in Boston Post Road
- the goal is to complete the work at the intersection of School/Church/BPR prior to Labor Day
- The detour around Town House Road for west-bound Post Road traffic will be in effect, when needed (see below). Look for road signs.
Traffic Pattern Change: Town House Road Detour
The one-way direction of Town House Road is reversed during construction work hours as crews set utility manholes and ductbanks in Boston Post Road in front of the Town Green.
- Boston Post Road in the Town Green vicinity will accommodate vehicles heading east
- Vehicles heading west in this vicinity will be detoured up Church Street and directed onto Town House Road to access Boston Post Road (at Knox Park) west-bound
- The one-way direction change is during construction work hours only
- Town Hall is open during its posted summer hours
- Watch for posted signs indicating "one-way" and "detour"
- DRIVE SLOWLY - watch for signs, cars, and children accessing the playground
- Police detail is on site for assistance
Anticipated Work & Hours
Work will begin at 7:00 a.m. and generally conclude around 3:00 p.m., though some days may go a bit longer.
Refer to the "Three-week Look Ahead" document below for anticipated upcoming work. This document is updated weekly.
For insight into work during the month of August, refer to the "Anticipated Work Activity" documents.
- Three-week Look Ahead (PDF) - Aug. 19th
- Anticipated Work Activity BPR East - August (PDF)
- Anticipated Work Activity BPR West - August (PDF)
As with all construction work, activities are anticipated as unexpected issues (like ledge removal) can arise and delay progress.
Police detail is on site to direct traffic. At times, when work dictates, detour and flow adjustments (such as rush hour and access to businesses) may be made. Watch for posted signs and police in the vicinity.
- Traffic Management Plan - Town House Road/Church (PDF) - when crews are in this area
- Traffic Management Plan - Fiske/Concord (PDF) - when crews are in this area
As work continues in Boston Post Road, some street parking will be closed during work hours. Pedestrian access to businesses will be maintained since work is "between the curbs." If you need assistance accessing a business, please ask a police officer or ground crew member.
NO PARKING signs will be posted 24-hours in advance of road work. We ask that you take notice of these signs and refrain from parking in these areas during the posted hours.
Signs indicating alternative parking areas will be posted.
How to Follow Progress & Get Updates
A dedicated listserv has been set up for those interested in receiving construction updates and notifications via email or text. Subscribe at Weston.org/StayInformed and look for the "Town Center Project" under News Flash.
- Repair the curbs, streets, and sidewalks, including the required improvements for handicapped accessibility and drainage upgrades
- Reconfigure the location of the curbs and sidewalks to create more continuous and ample sidewalks, safer crosswalks, new open space, and traffic-calming strategies
- Remove the utility poles and overhead wires to allow for new trees to be planted along Boston Post Road between Colpitts Road and School Street
The Open Space Plan, Tree Selection, and Tree plans are located below, along with the 100% construction plans.
- Legend, General Notes, Baselines, Tie-ins, Typical Sections - pgs. 1-17 (PDF)
- Construction Plans and Profiles - pgs. 18-31 (PDF)
- Signs and Pavement Markings - pgs. 32-39 (PDF)
- Drainage, Water, Sewer, Gas, Electric/Telecom, Utility Plans - pgs. 40-74 (PDF)
- Curb Ties and Grading - pgs. 75-89 (PDF)
- Construction Details and Temporary Traffic Controls - pgs. 90-105 (PDF)
- Construction Phasing - pgs. 106-139 (PDF)
- Electric, Lighting, Site Power, and Existing - pgs. 140-165 (PDF)
- Landscape & Streetscape Plans - pgs. 166-188 (PDF)
- Cross Sections for Boston Post Rd & Side Streets - pgs. 189-233 (PDF)