Town Center Improvement Project
- Repair the curbs, streets, and sidewalks, including the required improvements for handicapped accessibility and drainage upgrades
- Reconfigure the location of the curbs and sidewalks to create more continuous and ample sidewalks, safer crosswalks, new open space, and traffic-calming strategies
- Remove the utility poles and overhead wires to allow for new trees to be planted along Boston Post Road between Colpitts Road and School Street
At the November 2018 Special Town Meeting, voters chose to pass-over the appropriation request for construction funds to advance this project in favor of rebidding the project and bringing it back to a spring Special Town Meeting. The Board of Selectmen called for the Special Town Meeting to be held on March 18, 2019, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Auditorium. The warrant will be mailed to all households at the beginning of March but will be posted online in February after the Selectmen approve it.
A public information meeting detailing the project was held on Nov. 17, 2018, and the video and presentation of which is available below:
- WMC video of Nov. 17th info session
- Nov. 17th presentation
- Nov. 27th Special Town Meeting presentation
The Open Space Plan, Tree Selection, and Tree plans are located below, along with the 100% construction plans.
- Legend, General Notes, Baselines, Tie-ins, Typical Sections - pgs. 1-17 (PDF)
- Construction Plans and Profiles - pgs. 18-31 (PDF)
- Signs and Pavement Markings - pgs. 32-39 (PDF)
- Drainage, Water, Sewer, Gas, Electric/Telecom, Utility Plans - pgs. 40-74 (PDF)
- Curb Ties and Grading - pgs. 75-89 (PDF)
- Construction Details and Temporary Traffic Controls - pgs. 90-105 (PDF)
- Construction Phasing - pgs. 106-139 (PDF)
- Electric, Lighting, Site Power, and Existing - pgs. 140-163 (PDF)
- Landscape Plans - pgs. 164-185 (PDF)
- Cross Sections for Boston Post Rd - pgs. 186-211 (PDF)
- Cross Sections for Side Streets - pgs. 212-230 (PDF)
The 2016 Special Town Meeting voted to approve design and engineering fees for the Town Center's Master Plan concept. The 2017 Annual Town Meeting approved the funds for the design and engineering fees to bury the utility lines and poles.
Approval of the design and engineering fees for both the master plan and the burying of the utilities has allowed for the concepts shown on the "Historical Context" page and "Project Views" page to move forward for further development, including a public input session for designs held on June 13th and the development of preliminary road construction plans. The design boards from the public input session are physically located outside the auditorium of Town Hall.
Follow the progress of the Town Center Planning Committee by subscribing to receive notification of posted meeting agendas and minutes, and watch for notices of upcoming public design meetings.