Town Center Improvement Project
The 2016 Special Town Meeting voted to approve design and engineering fees for the Town Center's Master Plan concept. The 2017 Annual Town Meeting approved the funds for the design and engineering fees to bury the utility lines and poles.
The project will entail:
- Repairing the curbs, streets, and sidewalks, including the required improvements for handicapped accessibility and drainage upgrades
- Reconfiguring the location of the curbs and sidewalks to create more continuous and ample sidewalks, safer crosswalks, new open space, and traffic-calming strategies
- Removing the utility poles and overhead wires to allow for new trees to be planted along Boston Post Road between Colpitts Road and School Street
Approval of the design and engineering fees for both the master plan and the burying of the utilities has allowed for the concepts shown on the "Historical Context" page and "Project Views" page to move forward for further development, including a public input session for designs held on June 13th and the development of preliminary road construction plans. The design boards from the public input session are physically located outside the auditorium of Town Hall.
The Open Space Plan, Tree Selection, and Tree plans are located below, along with the 75% construction plans.
- Index, Legend, General Notes, Typical Sections - pgs. 1-10 (PDF)
- Construction Plans and Profiles - pgs. 11-24 (PDF)
- Sign and Pavement Marking and Sign Summary - pgs. 25-32 (PDF)
- Drainage, Water, Sewer, Gas, Electrical/Telecom Plans - pgs. 33-53 (PDF)
- Curb Ties and Grading Plans, Construction Detail - pgs. 54-75 (PDF)
- Temporary Traffic Control Plans - pgs. 76-79 (PDF)
- Lighting and Landscape Plans - pgs. 80-107 (PDF)
Open Space Design and Trees
Design and engineering will continue to be reviewed by the Committee, its design team, the Public Works Department, and various Town committees/boards, including Planning Board, Historical Commission, Traffic & Sidewalk Committee, and the Board of Selectmen.
The committee presented the above 75% plans to the Board of Selectmen on August 28th (presentation is above and WMC video is online at the 15:30 mm). It is anticipated that construction funds will be requested at the November Special Town Meeting on November 27, 2018.
Follow the progress of the Town Center Planning Committee by subscribing to receive notification of posted meeting agendas and minutes, and watch for notices of upcoming public design meetings.