Wanted: Volunteer Bark Rangers
Do you love walking trails? Engaging with others? Or have a passion for the environment? Help us keep Weston’s trails and open spaces enjoyable for everyone.
The Town of Weston is actively seeking volunteers to assist the Conservation and Animal Control departments in spreading awareness of the Town's rules and regulations for dogs and dog owners.
Volunteer responsibilities will include hiking our trails, engaging and educating visitors about their dog walking habits, and collecting data, all while modeling good dog walking behavior.
- Attend a 2-hour training on Monday, March 25th from 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
- Commit to monitoring at least twice per week for at least 1 hour per visit
- Submit a data collection report after each outing
- Be willing to approach strangers and provide positive reinforcement when good dog behavior is observed
- Provide gentle reminders and suggestions when dog owners are behaving badly
- The ideal candidate would also be interested in providing outreach information at various community events (such as Spring Fling on April 27th) and/or greeting visitors at trailheads
Ready to make a difference in your community? Fill out an online volunteer application today.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the next step?
To apply to be a Bark Ranger, please fill out the volunteer application. If you have any additional questions, contact Rachel Hoffman at email@example.com .
Which trails will I be visiting?
Our main focus is our two most popular properties: Cat Rock Park and the Ash Street Reservoir. Other properties are being considered. If you have a suggestion please let us know on the application.
Will I have to sign up for time slots?
Yes, there will be a shared Google document for volunteers to sign up for time slots for specific properties.
Can I bring my dog when I am volunteering?
Yes, you may bring your companion(s) with you so long as they set the example for other dogs to follow. Please keep the number to a maximum of two dogs during your volunteer time.
How will I know what to say to people if they are not following the rules?
During our training session, we will be covering the methods we would like you to use when engaging with visitors. Not to worry, we will make sure you are well prepared before sending you out!
How will I be encouraging good behavior?
We will provide each volunteer with the materials to distribute to visitors. This will include waste bags, brochures, and raffle tickets for those who follow the rules.
How will I be collecting data?
We will have simple forms for you to fill out during your monitoring patrols. You will collect data on the number of dogs, people, waste piles, the location of piles, wetland violations, dogs with leashes, and dogs under voice control, etc.