Ecological Management Plan
The Conservation Commission has engaged Mass Audubon’s Ecological Extension Services to draft an Ecological Management Plan (EMP) for the Case Estates in an effort to guide the maintenance and stewardship of this unique property over the next seven years .
Final Ecological Management Draft Review
The final Case Estates’ EMP draft is now available below for public review:
A prior draft was published for a public review period in February - March of 2020. Public comments received were considered in the preparation of this final draft.
The Conservation Commission will hold a public hearing on the final EMP draft on Tuesday, October 27 at 7:30 p.m. via an online meeting platform. Interested members of the public are encouraged to attend. Participation instructions will be included on the meeting agenda, which will be posted at least 48 hours prior to the meeting.
If you would like to share comments on the draft with the Conservation Commission, please email them to Schadler.email@example.com no later than Thursday, October 22 at 12:00 p.m.
What is an Ecological Management Plan?
The EMP provides recommendations to guide the maintenance and stewardship of this unique property over the next seven years. It considers the ecological needs, community desires, and constraints and resources regarding the Case Estates and recommends the following short-term goals:
- Improve the meadows for pollinator habitat
- Reduce invasive plant infestations to minimize spreading and improve habitat quality
- Manage field edges to retain the extents of the fields
- Maintain stone walls for scenic qualities
- Protect specimen trees and shrubs, including both historic and recent plantings
- Welcome passive recreational users to the property, including users of all mobility levels
- Accomplish the management activities as efficiently and economically as possible
For those with limited time to review the draft, we suggest focusing on section 5K. Management Recommendations Matrix and Maintenance Schedule (page 60), where a matrix summarizes the actions recommended throughout the EMP. A schedule for annual maintenance activities is also provided.
Ecological Management Plan Schedule
- June 2019: Ecological Management Plan Stakeholder Meeting (PDF)
- Summer/Fall 2019: Field visits and initial draft preparation
- February/March 2020: initial draft available for public review; presentation of draft to Conservation Commission, other interested boards and committees, and public
- Fall 2020: finalize Ecological Management Plan and present to the Conservation Commission