Sharps Disposal Information

State law bans the disposal of household needles, syringes, and lancets - known as sharps - in the recycling or trash streams. Household sharps are used at home to inject medicine into people or pets.

Properly disposing of sharps prevents the accidental injury of waste handlers and environmental contamination. A 2012 state law prohibits people from disposing of these items in the trash or recycling.

How Do I Store Used Sharps Until Disposal?

household sharps containerPlace sharps in an approved rigid, puncture-resistant, shatter-proof sharps container. Containers can be obtained at your local pharmacy.

If you do not have an approved sharps container you may use a ridged laundry detergent bottle labeled as “Sharps Container.”

  • Use the container until it is nearly full and then tightly close the lid
  • Reinforce the lid with tape to prevent accidental opening of the container
  • There is no time limit for keeping containers. It is best to nearly fill them to make this program cost effective.

Where Do I Take My Household Sharps?

Weston residents with a current transfer station sticker may drop off household sharps at the facility located at 195 Church Street during normal hours of operation. 

Sharps Drop Off Proceduresharps disposal infographic

  • When you arrive at the Transfer Station, let a staff member know you want to drop off sharps
  • The staff person will direct you to the location of the proper container
  • For everyone’s safety, sharps will not be accepted unless they are in an approved sharps container

Do’s and Don’ts of Sharps Disposal

  • Do keep sharps containers closed between uses and out of reach of children and pets
  • Do dispose of the entire container at the Weston Transfer Station
  • Don’t bring loose needles or lancets
  • Don’t put sharps containers, loose needles or lancets in the recycling or trash bin, or down the toilet
  • Sharps from businesses are not accepted at Weston's Transfer Station

Additional Resources

  • State Sanitary Code Title VIII (105 CMR 480) is administered by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health. For information, call 617-624-5757.
  • Massachusetts Solid Waste Regulations (310 CMR 190) govern solid waste transfer and disposal facilities. For information, call 617-292-5974 or see the regulations. 
  • Businesses should contract with a sharps disposal company. 
  • For a list of sharps disposal locations in other Mass. communities, visit the Massachusetts Energy and Environmental Affairs website.