Liquor License & BYOB Regulations

One-Day Special Event Liquor License

The state's Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission allows for permits that authorize the sale of alcoholic beverages to the public at special events.

The Select Board may issue special licenses for the sale of wines and/or malt beverages to any enterprise however, special licenses for the sale of all alcoholic beverages may be issued to non-profit organizations only.

The Select Board cannot grant special licenses to:
  • Any person for more than a total of 30 days per calendar year
  • Any person that has an on premises license application pending before it
  • Any premises that has an alcoholic beverages license

Do I Need a One-day Liquor License?

A One-day License is necessary whenever money is changing hands by the following:
  • A direct sale of alcoholic beverages
  • When tickets are sold to an event where alcoholic beverages will be consumed
  • When a caterer is supplying alcohol on which they will make a profit (indirect sale)
  • You must apply for a Special One-day License if you are renting any Town-owned facility (Community Center, Josiah Smith Tavern, Art & Innovation Center)
For example:
  • A fundraising event at a public facility where people buy tickets or make a donation to attend DOES require a Special One-day License, even if the money exchanged is not used directly to pay for alcohol.
A Special One-day License is not required if:
  • The event is at a private dwelling
  • An event is in a facility or establishment that already holds a valid alcohol license
  • The caterer holds a 12C Caterer’s License (unless the event is being held at a Town-owned facility)
If you have any questions about whether or not your event requires this license, please call 781-786-5020 or send an email.

Liquor License Rules & Regulations