Planning for Children, Seniors & Special Needs

Planning for Children
  • Be sure children know your plan and important numbers a meeting places. Review it with them periodically.
  • Be sure if changes are made to plans they know about those changes.
  • Be sure the after school programs your children are involved with have emergency plans. If they don’t, work with the program coordinators to develop plans (i.e. how will kids who are dropped off at a ball field be transported to safety in an emergency? Where could they be quickly sheltered?).
  • Be sure you know your child’s school plans. Weston Public Schools have developed extensive emergency plans coordinated with the Public Safety Departments.
  • College or prep school kids should know your emergency information, and everyone should know the school and dorm’s plans.
  • Involve your children in the planning process. Have them make a list of what food to store and what toys or books to have. Have them make their own “go” kit.
  • Small, unlicensed childcare providers should also have emergency plans. Be sure they do and know what they are.
  • The Massachusetts Office of Children’s Services has mandated that all day care and pre-schools have emergency plans. Be sure they do and know what plans they have.
  • Whether your children are heading off to college, camp or abroad, be sure there are emergency procedures in place. Ensure that your children know what to do if something happened where they are or at home while they are away.
Planning for Elderly & Special Needs Individuals
  • Be sure if changes are made to plans that everyone knows about those changes.
  • Be sure they know the plan, contacts and meeting places. If they do not live with you be sure they have a plan and you know it.
  • Determine if you or your loved ones would have difficulty doing any of the tasks. If the answer is yes, develop a solution. If you need help in coming up with a solution contact the Weston LEPC.
  • Have a system in place to check that the elderly or those with special needs, whether family or neighbors, have heat or air conditioning in extreme conditions. Contact the Emergency Management or Fire Department if you think there is a problem.
  • If you or a loved one is a resident of an assisted living facility or nursing home, review the facility plans.
  • If you or a loved one is undergoing a medical treatment (such as chemotherapy) that could hinder your ability to deal with an emergency and you would like to be put on an emergency assistance list for the duration of the treatment please contact our LEPC Coordinator Chief David B. Soar at the Weston Fire Department 781-786-6101.