Solar Photovoltaic Panels Exploratory Committee
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
- Arthur M. Coates
- Wendell B. Colson
- Nina Danforth
- Kevin F. Fitzgerald
- Donald Stewart
- Selectman Michael Harrity, Convener
- Danielle Black, School Committee Liaison
In December 2011, the Town of Weston was designated a Green Community by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. This designation is an indication of the commitment of both the Board of Selectmen and School Committee to reduce the town’s energy use and carbon footprint, both to improve the environment and save tax dollars.
One of the obligations of being a Green Community is to reduce the overall energy consumption of municipal departments and schools by 20% within 5 years. One way to do this is to explore alternative energy sources.
The Solar Photovoltaic Panels Committee is charged with the following:
- Evaluating all town properties to determine their suitability for installation of solar photovoltaic panels
- Maintaining a prioritized list of properties deemed to be suitable, taking into account estimated cost of installation, return on investment, impact on the activities that take place on the properties, aesthetic impacts and societal benefits
- Consulting with the Permanent Building Committee (PBC) prior to initiating any project on a municipal or school building
- Overseeing and guiding the installation process through to completion on any or all of these solar projects approved for action by Town Meeting.
Project & Committee Oversight
The Committee’s oversight is subject to the approval of the PBC for building-related issues and the School Committee, Board of Selectmen, or other board or committee charged with overseeing a building. Project oversight may include:
- Preparing communications to town committees and/or abutters
- Planning and running educational public events
- Working with the Town Manager on bidding and permitting processes
The Solar Photovoltaic Panels Exploratory Committee will consist of up to 5 resident volunteers, plus 1 member of the following committees:
- Board of Selectmen
- Environmental Baseline Committee
- Permanent Building Committee
- School Committee