The Case Estates Area and Maple Road / Wellesley Street Area were later combined to form the Case’s Corner Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002. To see the original 1994 Area Form including data sheets and photographs, see Case Estates Area Form.
Case Estates Area Description
The Case Estates Area includes farmhouses, 19th century summer estate
buildings, and turn of the century residences set within a
horticulturally significant landscape of farm fields, woodlands,
orchards, wetlands and landscaped gardens. Among the houses are good
representative examples from the following periods:
Examples also include an estate mansion, estate worker housing, and
middle class housing. The area includes a total of 15 houses dating
between about 1790 and 1952 and also 14 outbuildings, including 10 barns
and farm storage buildings.
Most structures are frame with clapboard and occasionally shingle exteriors; notable exceptions are the shingle and brick estate mansion, a brick barn, and a stucco cow barn. Located throughout the Case Estates Area are plantings of horticultural significance including many specimen trees and shrubs. Stone walls dating from the late 18th to early 20th century exemplify varied construction methods and serve as important landscape features. Because of the large amount of open land, the area retains a distinctly rural feeling.
Located in the geographic center of Weston at the intersection of 4 well-travelled roads, the Case Estates Area occupies approximately 118 acres, of which more than 100 acres are undeveloped. About half the area, approximately 60 acres, is owned by Harvard University and managed by the Arnold Arboretum as a horticultural facility known as the Case Estates. The remaining acreage includes a 35-acre town field, originally part of the Case Estates, and also the Case family estate mansion (now Weston school administrative offices) and privately owned houses that contribute to the character of the area.