The Kendal Green Area was documented by the Weston Historical Commission in 1994 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001 as the Kendal Green Historic District, with slightly different boundaries. The Kendal Green Area includes the following properties:
Summary of Significance
The Kendal Green Area includes a diverse grouping of architecturally significant buildings dating from the early 18th to the early 20th century. Eight houses date from the Colonial and Federal periods, including 2 important double houses. Located here is the most ornate of only 3 Mansard cottages in Weston.
The Shingle Style, the most popular in the area during the late 19th century, was used for 7 notable buildings:
An estate house and stable
3 factory worker’s houses
2 summer resort buildings
Also located here are 2 buildings unusual in their building materials: a log house (1906) and all-concrete fire station (1908). Many buildings in the area embody the distinctive characteristics of a type, period or method of construction. Some possess high artistic values.
The history of the area is associated with 2 major industries which flourished in Weston at different periods and made major contributions to town history and development: the Hobbs tannery and related shoe manufacturing business, which was a major economic presence in Weston for over a century, and the Hook and Hastings Organ Factory, the town’s major employer.