The Weston Aqueduct Linear District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 18, 1990 and includes structures in Southborough, Framingham, Wayland, and Weston, including the following in Weston:
The Weston Aqueduct Linear District consists of 13.5 miles of aqueduct punctuated by bridges and chambers along its course to the Weston Reservoir. It is significant as an outstanding and well preserved example of engineering and architectural design for a gravity aqueduct system in metropolitan Boston’s water system. Dating to 1901-03, it is representative of the third phase of the system’s development.
Like other components of this phase, its designers include engineer Frederick P. Stearns, architects Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, and landscape architects Olmsted and Olmsted.
The notable variety of conduit and chamber types of the Weston Aqueduct presents an excellent illustration of the ways in which gravity aqueducts were designed and built to meet hydraulic grade requirements in a variety of topographical circumstances. In addition, the chambers above the conduit display noteworthy coherence and continuity of design as expressed in their simplified Renaissance Revival forms, attractive polychrome granite exteriors, and measured incorporation of decorative detail. Subtle variations within the overall design theme were developed for each chamber type, thereby reinforcing the feeling of care and creativity exhibited in the work of a major Boston architectural firm.
The district possesses integrity of location, design, setting, materials, workmanship, feeling, and associations; it meets Criteria A and C of the National Register of Historic Places. The boundaries encompass the aqueduct structure, its associated chambers, bridges and siphons, and the Weston Reservoir as it travels from the Sudbury Dam on the west to the Weston Aqueduct Terminal Chamber on the east.