Your Top 5 for December
An easy to digest digest of Town Government news.
1 - Change to Town Hall Hours
Introducing Evening Hours on Tuesdays
The Select Board has approved a change in the business hours of Town Hall. Weston's Town Hall has traditionally been open to the public for 37.5 hours per week. This trial change will allow offices to be open to the public for 42.5 hours per week and no budget increases are associated with this change.
Starting January 6, 2020 and until May 2020, Town Hall will be open on Tuesday evenings until 7:00 p.m. This change is being initiated to assist residents who find it difficult to get to Town Hall during daytime hours. The change in hours is on a trial basis and are as follows:
- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday: 8:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday: 8:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- Friday: 8:00 to 12:30 p.m.
Since June 2019, the construction schedule has called for completing the installation of the primary utility duct banks by the end of the calendar year (construction season 1).
2 - Town Center Construction Project - November Totals
As of November 30, the contractor has focused on installing underground infrastructure including drainage, water services, utility manholes, and utility duct banks:
- The installation of drainage work is substantially completed:
- 25 of 30 total catch basins
- 19 of 20 total drain manholes
- 5 of 5 total water quality units
- 2,400 of total 2,800 linear feet of drain pipe has been installed
- The installation of water work is substantially completed:
- 22 of 22 total water services relayed
- 200 feet of water main at Boston Post Road and Center Street installed
- two water gate replacements at Church Street and Conant Road remain
- Electrical and telecommunication conduits in Church Street and Boston Post Road from School Street to Center Street have been installed:
- 56 of total 69 utility manholes installed (25 of 27 total Eversource, 15 of 17 total Verizon, 12 of 21 total Comcast, and 4 Town Fiber)
- 13,175 of 33,120 total linear feet of primary ductbank conduit installed (3,723.5 of 12,050 total feet of Eversource, 3,759 of 8,885 total feet of Verizon, 2,973 of 7,285 total feet of Comcast, and 2,719.17 of 4,900 total feet of Town Fiber)
Construction activity updates are posted to the project's web page at Weston.org/TownCenter
and are also sent out via email/text notifications. Subscribe at Weston.org/StayInformed
.Photos of construction activities
are also posted to the project's web page.
3 - Annual Holiday Events
Santa Claus is Coming to Town! North Side and South Side Weston
Santa is making visits around the north side of Weston on Weston Fire Department apparatus. Children and parents wishing to say hello to jolly Saint Nick can watch for him at the following locations on Wednesday, December 18th
- 6:00 - 6:10 p.m. - Sears and Laurel Road
- 6:15 - 6:30 p.m. - Cherrybrook Road at the ballfield
- 6:35 - 6:50 p.m. - Westland Road at Circle Drive
- 6:55 - 7:10 p.m. - Fairview at Montvale Road
- 7:15 - 7:25 p.m. - Kings Grant at Plymouth Road
- 7:30 - 8:00 p.m. - Town Hall at the front door
Residents on the south side of town can watch for Santa on Thursday, December 19th
- 6:00 - 6:25 p.m. - Library parking lot (School St.)
- 6:35 - 6:55 p.m. - Ridgeway at Chiltern Road
- 7:00 - 7:10 p.m. - Fire Station #2 (390 South Ave.)
- 7:15 - 7:25 p.m. - Woodchester Dr. at Shady Hill Rd.
- 7:30 - 7:40 p.m. - Sherburn Circle at Tyler Road
- 7:45 - 8:00 p.m. - Deer Path Lane at Country Dr.
Annual Christmas Eve Carol Sing
For more than 60 years, residents gather by the porch of the Josiah Smith Tavern (358 Boston Post Road) at 7:00 p.m. to sing Christmas carols with musical accompaniment by Weston High School band members. Candles and sheet music are provided.
4 - Help with Heating Costs
Are your heating bills getting too high? You might be surprised to learn you may qualify for assistance with heating costs or a discounted utility bill. The federal LIHEAP Program helps homeowners and renters of all ages with the cost of heating their homes in the winter (Nov. 1–April 30). The income limit for a one-person household is $37,360 and for a 2-person household it is $48,855. Asset information is not requested. Applications can be made in person at the Weston COA with Michelle Gucciardi LICSW. Please call 781-786-6280 or email Gucciardi.firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Deadline to apply is April 30, 2020.
5 - 40B Updates
Modera Weston: 751-761 Boston Post Road
This is still under the public hearing process through the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA). The next meeting is January 27th and another meeting is anticipated for February 3rd. The ZBA must close the hearing by March 23, 2020, provided there are no more extensions to the 180-day time period to hear the comprehensive permit. Once the hearing closes, the ZBA must issue a decision within 40-days of the vote to close the hearings. Meeting materials can be found under the ZBA's web page for 40B permit hearings
Hanover Weston: 518 South Avenue
This is still under appeal in the Housing Appeals Court.
Stony Brook Weston: 104 Boston Post Road
This also continues to be under appeal in the Housing Appeals Court. The City of Cambridge has joined in the suit against the developer due to the wastewater treatment and stormwater runoff being in close proximity to the city's water supply.