A Community of Over 1,100 Residents with No Sewer System!?
That’s right! Over 1,100 dogs live in Weston, and of course, do not use the toilet. Pet waste washes into our wetlands/streams/waterways if pet owners do not dispose of it properly. When it rains, animal waste left uncovered or stored improperly near wetlands and storm drains can flow, untreated, directly into streams and our water supply. Animal waste contains bacteria, which is detected in pond/stream sampling and can trigger public safety advisories.
How You Can Help
On a walk - Picking up after your pet ensures that waste will not wash into Weston’s streams, wetlands and catch basins (which directly drain to streams and wetlands).
Clean up at home
- Remember, it is illegal not to pick up your dog’s waste on Weston Town Land (i.e. sidewalks, Town Green, parks, conservation land, and other open spaces).
- Always carry a plastic bag with you when you take your dog for a walk. Although some conservation areas provide plastic bags and trash receptacles, most do not. don’t assume you will find a public dispenser. Carry in, Carry out.
- Plastic grocery and vegetable bags work well. Place your hand in the bag, pick up the waste. Turn the bag inside out, and then drop it in a trash receptacle.
- Pet owners have many different ways of cleaning up after their pets at home. Here are a few that are wetland and forest friendly:
- Smaller quantities of pet waste can be raked or turned into the soil of lawns or gardens to decompose slowly.
- Larger amounts should be scooped and placed in the trash. One method suggested for this is to place a plastic bag in a 5-gallon trash can with a lid. When you pick up dog droppings in your yard, put them in that trash can, then cover them with a sprinkling of powdered lime (available at building supply stores) and close the lid. Each time you clean up the yard and add droppings to the container, add more lime. When the container is full, tie the bag closed and put it in your regular trash container
Weston's Dog Regulations
For the full text of Weston’s Dog Regulations (Article XX of the General Town Bylaws): www.weston.org/221/Dog-Walking
Weston’s Animal Control Officer can be reached at the Police Department: 781-786-6200.Please report dog walking
violations, dog safety issues, and inquire about Commercial Dog Walking permits there.